The lack of information about existing processes kills 70% of large transformation projects and around 50% of RPA projects…alarming statistics. Triggering this failure rate is a lack of understanding about existing processes, and the disconnect between the discovery, visualization, analysis, and execution of existing data. So, banish the process guesswork! Utilizing process mining technology unlocks the information, visibility, and quantifiable numbers needed to improve end-to-end processes for sustainable transformation.
Process mining in 2020
Your data fingerprint
If we consider the figures again (from McKinsey and Ernst & Young (EY) respectively), the digitization of products and services is forcing companies of all shapes and sizes, and in all industries, to dramatically reconsider their existing business models and the processes they implement. Because all activities are different, process mining uses the unique data—your company’s business fingerprint—to automatically piece together a digital representation of all your existing business processes.
This digital evidence enables us to visualize exactly how processes are operating (both the conventional path and variable executions) down to individual process instances. In other words, you can unearth processes which lie unseen or dormant, revealing hidden value, and providing an instant understanding of complex processes in minutes rather than days.
Triggering dormant success
Then, with standardized and configurable notifications and KPIs, you can further understand the immediate impact of any process change made—meaning that failure rates decrease, and company confidence is improved. And that’s not all: everyone from new employees to the C-suite can better visualize, understand, and explain their organization’s processes. This ensures that the right process change is secure and that improvement has the intended impact, every time.
Unleash the power of process
In business, we all answer to somebody, and it is critical to connect problems to real solutions. The everyday functions of companies—the processes upon which they are built—are the connection to business tech, from “process” mining to robotic “process” automation. Without process understanding, the tech is redundant because we have no idea how work has flowed in an existing application. Process is the lifeblood of operations.
Process mining: your point of differentiation
Transformative digital technology integration
In addition to the DVA of process mining—discover, visualize, analyze—is the power to monitor real-time process execution automatically from your existing data. This simple point and click assessment can provide an instant understanding of complex processes. Within transformation projects, which by their very nature require the profound transformation of business and organizational activities, processes, competencies, and models, process mining provides the visual map to facilitate immediate action.
This self-sustaining approach across an entire organization is what leads to genuinely sustainable outcomes, and builds a process culture within an organization. By taking this holistic approach, digital transformation and excellence professionals will find it easier to leverage processes, justify their projects and programs, and address behavioral change challenges.
This includes the facilitation of transformative digital technology integration, operational agility and flexibility, leadership and culture, and workforce enablement.
Three ways process mining can save your business in a transformation project:
- You require 100% operational transparency: To chart all your transactions requires complete process transparency. This capability allows the direct comparison of actual operations to the ways that processes were designed to occur. This conformance checking can automatically identify the highest priority issues and tasks, and highlight root causes, so we can take immediate action.
- You must reduce costs and increase efficiency: Signavio research shows that almost 60% of companies incurred additional charges from suppliers due to process inefficiencies. Process mining can help your business reduce costs because it finds vulnerabilities and deviations, whilst highlighting what is slowing you down, including the bottlenecks and inefficiencies hampering revenue. Process mining beefs up operational health via process improvements and pre-emptive strategies.
- You must optimize the buying and selling cycle: Is shipping taking too long? Which of your suppliers supports you least? Who is outperforming whom? Process mining is your one-click trick to finding these answers and identifying which units are performing best and which are wasting time and money.
Process mining and robotic process automation (RPA)
The beneficial fusion of both technologies
Robotic process automation (RPA) provides a virtual workforce to automatize manual, repetitive, and error-prone tasks. However, successful process automation requires exact knowledge about the intended (and potential) benefits, effective training of the robots, and continuous monitoring of their performance. With this, process mining supports organizations throughout the lifecycle of RPA initiatives by monitoring and benchmarking robots to ensure sustainable benefits.
Upgrade robot-led automation
These insights are especially valuable for process miners and managers with a particular interest in process automation. To further upgrade the impact of robot-led automation, there is also a need for a solid understanding of legacy systems, and an overview of automation opportunities. Process mining tools provide critical insights throughout the entire RPA journey, from defining the strategy to continuous improvement and innovation.
Three ways process mining can save your business in an RPA lifecycle project
- You require process overviews, based on specific criteria: To provide a complete overview of end-to-end processes, involves the identification of high ROI processes suitable for RPA implementation. This, in turn, helps determine the best-case process flow/path, enabling you to spot redundant processes, which you may not be aware of, before automating.
- You are unsure how best to optimize human-digital worker cycles: By mining the optimal process flow/path, we can better discover inefficient human-robot hand-off, providing quantifiable data on the financial impact of any digital worker or process. This way, we can compare human vs. digital labor in terms of accuracy, efficiency, cost, and project duration.
- You need to understand better how RPA supports legacy processes and systems: RPA enables enterprises to keep legacy systems by making integration with cloud and web/app-based services, transforming abilities to connect legacy with modern tools, applications, and even mobile apps. Efficiency and effectiveness will be improved across crucial departments, including HR, finance, and legal.
Process mining for improved customer experience and mapping
Reconfigure customer delight
The integration of process mining with other technologies is also essential in growing the process excellence and management market. With process management, we already talk about customer engagement, which empowers companies to shift away from lopsided efficiency goals, which often frustrate customers, towards all-inclusive effectiveness goals, built around delighting customers at the lowest organizational cost possible.
Further, the application of process mining within customer journey mapping (CJM)—especially when linked to the underlying processes—offers the bundled capability of better business understanding and outside-in customer perspective, connected to the processes that deliver them. So, by connecting process mining with a customer-centric view across producing, marketing, selling, and providing products and services, customer delight becomes a strategic catalyst for success.
Unlock the full potential of process
Trigger process mining initiatives with Signavio Process Intelligence, and see how it can help your organization uncover the hidden value of process, generate fresh ideas, and save time and money. Discover more in our white paper, Managing Successful Process Mining Initiatives with Signavio Process Intelligence.